For real. I am not a baker. I come from bakers (both grandmother’s were exceptional) and me? Well I am just not. But these cupcakes are FOOL PROOF! Seriously, if I can make these and come off like a pro, anyone can. This recipe combines beautiful culinary things: (1) chocolate, (2) coconut, and (3) espresso. These are so perfectly subtle, moist and tasty – they are as good as sweets I have ordered in a restaurant. And the ingredient list? Easy peasy. Here’ how to make this simple, fool proof Chocolate Coconut Espresso Cake.
Ingredients (enough for 15 cupcakes or 1 cake):
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour (I use all purpose)
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1 large brown egg (room temperature)
1/2 cup coconut milk (room temperature)
1 1/2 tsp organic vanilla extract
1/4 cup boiling water
1/4 cup French Press (strong) coffee or espresso – I used I Deal coffee – a favourite in this household
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together your dry ingredients – I used my gramma’s old sifter.
3. Mix together the egg, milk and extract (softly beat the egg into the milk).
4. Stir the milk mixture into your dry mixture. Combine thoroughly. Once it is combined and not lumpy, add in the boiling water and coffee/espresso.
5. Fill your cupcake cups about 3/4 of the way and pop into your preheated oven.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes – I started checking at the 22 minute mark. I ensured it was baked all the way thorough by testing it with a toothpick. Once the toothpick comes out clean (no batter), I brought those delicious babies out to cool.
I made my own cream cheese icing for these cupcakes which added an amazing cool, savory sweet element to them. I can’t remember where I found the recipe but essentially it was white powdered sugar, vanilla extract and cream cheese. I made have add a little milk to make it less goopy.
To Die For. And I am not even a dessert person!